The 'B' Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for everything parenting related, from bumps, birth and babies, to trying to concieve and parenting. The 'B' word is for parents and parents to be to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Introducing solids

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tricky31212
Tricky31212

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 am

Looks like in about a month, we'll be ready to start introducing some yums.
Originally I wasn't planning to make food, but I wish I had registered for one of those things, because now that I'm at home all the time I would love to!

Besides the point...

There is so much info out there about introducing...from starting with one single grain cereal diluted with formula/breast milk to just starting with any one ingredient puree. Starting with just once a day...but when do you start going more than once a day? Do you feed immediately after the bottle/breast or wait for an hour or so... AHHHHH!

What have you guys done?
Back to top Go down
http://warditude.wordpress.com
Heyy
Heyy

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 am

I have one of these, new in the box if you want it- but it's new in the box for a reason- I never needed it! We have a burr mixer (Like for shakes) and it did wonders- also a small quesanart (How the frick do you spell that, anyway???) We also transitioned to fork mashed very quickly Smile
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&biw=1067&bih=503&tbm=isch&tbnid=CAwP0BIplT-ByM:&imgrefurl=http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/healthy-homemade-baby-food&docid=kNxU0R791h0N7M&imgurl=http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/baby_food_mill.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=tGMpUKX9FeTyigLGlYGIAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=573&vpy=6&dur=2183&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=120&ty=101&sig=116014967377702106613&page=1&tbnh=94&tbnw=93&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:96
Back to top Go down
Heyy
Heyy

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 am

This site, run by Momtastic, is GREAT when it comes to all things baby food related- from first foods, to when to introduce what charts to allergens, you name it!
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfirstfoods.htm

Start bland- rice cereal mixed with his formula etc- and keep in mind it sometimes takes several attempts over a few days to get them to accept a new food- and it's ALL new food at this point! But starting bland doesn't mean staying bland! Don't be afraid to experiment with spices and herbs- just stay away from the sodium loaded crap. Introduce foods one at a time and wait three days before introducing anything new to be sure he won't have a reaction- most spices and things you follow the three day wait rule with also, so treat them like they are their own food. I think wholesomebabyfood has a list of herbs and foods that there is ZERO risk, so those you can add in at any time- My girls eat mostly table food now, but they still LOVE baby carrots (Puree) with ground ginger Very Happy
They eat cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, salsa, anything with basil in it lol, pretty much all flavor profiles-
Back to top Go down
alien_babe2300
alien_babe2300

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 am

Just thought I'd add that there's no need to start with purées if you don't want the hassle (it can be a royal pain in the butt). You can do "Baby Led Weaning" which means you start LO off with finger foods right from the start.

Here is an intro into what it's about

Here are tips to get started

Link to advantages and disadvantages

The links are to UK sites so I hope some of the terms aren't too confusing. Remember "chips" here means fries and "wee" is another name for small.
Back to top Go down
Tricky31212
Tricky31212

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Wow, I have never heard of BLW before. Very interesting.

And Heyy, I would love that grinder. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://warditude.wordpress.com
Heyy
Heyy

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 am

FB me your new address, I'll get it out tomorrow Smile
lol- funny thing is I specifically bought THAT kind of grinder because it's the kind mom had for you, and it was so convenient to take places!

We did a 50% BLW 50% TW (traditional weaning) and it worked out great... (more 50% lol- I really need to write a section on being the 50/50 mom Wink ) We are actually just venturing into the world of silverware though- Should be entertaining Rolling Eyes I honestly just didn't have anywhere here to set them up where they could fling it around and make a mess! lol So now that they have more control and we have been practicing with pre-loaded spoons, I'm ready to try- just no spag bol yet! hahaha Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Introducing solids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introducing solids   Introducing solids Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing solids
Page 1 of 1