The 'B' Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for everything parenting related, from bumps, birth and babies, to trying to concieve and parenting. The 'B' word is for parents and parents to be to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Raising Giants

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Heyy
Heyy

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Raising Giants   Raising Giants EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 am

My little beans started off life by coming 7 1/2 weeks early. They weighed 4 and 4.5 lbs when they were born and had to spend 4 weeks in the NICU. When I brought them home from the hospital they were so teeny tiny that it scared me that I was solely responsible for them and their care (My hubby went directly to work when dropping us at home pale ) - They were about an inch under where the growth curve even starts at their 8 week check, right at their due date. Since then, however, they have made up for it and then some! They shot straight up through the middle of that growth chart and are following their own curve about an inch above the highest Very Happy It's not too surprising as I am not a small woman in any stretch of the imagination, and my husband is rather a colossus at 6'3" and 315lbs! It has been wonderful and very comforting to see them get so big and strong, after sitting by their incubators for weeks on end and stressing about how little they were.

This does, however, bring with it an entirely different set of issues. They are 21 months old this next Thursday and they weigh in at about 35 lbs each I think, and 34 and 34 1/2 inches tall- which, BTW, is the size of your average 3 year old Shocked They grow out of clothes and shoes as quickly as I can acquire them, they can bulldoze right past normal baby gates. Baby carriers, strollers/prams, any toy- all have to be considered for bigger, stronger babies, and X2! They broke their crib the day before Christmas Rolling Eyes and have destroyed and/or outgrown 3 strollers so far (FX that the new one hold until they are old enough to not be in one!) , and we replaced their car seats in August and and are already looking at replacing them again because if they grow one more centimeter they will be too tall for these.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
alien_babe2300
alien_babe2300

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising Giants   Raising Giants EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:18 am

Not quite the same extent but Louis is a "monster baby" too. At 6 months old he was 20lbs though slowed right down after that. He's 19 months old now and is 30 lbs and 2 foot 9.5 inches!

Most people gasp and question me when they ask his age. I did have a lady imply he was slow before I set her straight. I'm a tiny 9stone and 5'7.

His dad is 6'1 and his uncle is 6'6 so height isn't a surprise.
Back to top Go down
Heyy
Heyy

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising Giants   Raising Giants EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 4:22 am

One of the concerns, when raising giants, is that their toys be tall enough for them to play with- This past Christmas we went on a hunt for the perfect playhouse- There were other factors that went into our search, such as not wanting to pay upwards of $300 for a playhouse, and size restrictions since we live in such a small condo- but the big concern regarding the girls was the interior HEIGHT. When reading reviews on some of the playhouses, I kept seeing over and over, "My 3 year old has to stoop over now, but still plays in it" and all I could think was they're the size of a 3 year old NOW, they'll have to crawl in it by the time they are three! LOL
Well, to make a long story short, we finally found a playhouse with an interior clearance of just over 43 inches made by American Plastic Toys- without spending hundreds of dollars, it is the tallest on the market with the smallest dimensions to fit in small spaces Smile
*Fair Warning- it is not SOME assembly required- it is 2 hours and an engineering degree assembly requited!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
alien_babe2300
alien_babe2300

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising Giants   Raising Giants EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 am

Well done with finding this. Thankfully Louis is into trains and fire engines so we don't have to worry about size as much.

It's clothes more than anything as he's still growing at a rate of knots. Just in the space of a month he's grown almost 2 inches so clothes are grown out of blooming quickly. Sad
Back to top Go down
Heyy
Heyy

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising Giants   Raising Giants EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

I keep stocked up SIZES ahead of where we are- it's a necessity since we are on a strict budget and there are two of them, but we have discovered when they have those massive growth spurts it is so nice to have the next size ready and waiting! I look around at second hand shops, craigslist and freecycle, and sales at the department stores. I just bought them Christmas jammies for next year for $2 a pair What a Face The girls are currently between a 2T and a 3T, so I have all their 3's ready and staring into circulation, so am currently amassing sizes 4T and 5T and working on sizes 9 and 10 in shoes Shocked Where did my tiny babies go???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raising Giants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising Giants   Raising Giants Empty

Back to top Go down

Raising Giants
Page 1 of 1